Love chocolate and marshmallows? Our take on the classic s’mores will give you the ultimate gooey, chocolatey treat that can be whipped up in a jiffy, using five ingredients only. Each bite-sized s’mores has a crunchy digestive base, gooey chocolate layer, and toasted marshmallows on top for a decadent treat any time of the day. [Go straight to recipe]
A Chocolate Marshmallow Dessert
Toasted marshmallows, melted chocolate, and a crunchy digestive base. Who wouldn’t love this combination?
S’mores—the name is pretty much self-explanatory. It is a contraction of “some more”, which describes how much we love these sweet treats. We just can’t stop at one piece!
S’mores is a popular campfire treat in the United States, traditionally made by sandwiching campfire-roasted marshmallows and chocolate with graham crackers.
The flame helps to char the marshmallows and melt the chocolate, giving you a gooey, chocolatey, and decadent treat.
In Singapore, the closest most of us have to a campfire is barbeque.
For those who have tried eating barbequed marshmallows, you’ll know just how addictive the texture is—think a crisp outer layer that breaks apart into a gooey sweet interior. Plus points if you’ve tried it with nutella or chocolate!
For this S'mores Bites Recipe, we’ve recreated the classic marshmallow chocolate treat into individual bite-sized morsels of goodness.
These s’mores bites are customisable, where you can easily adjust the amount of ingredients to your liking.
Our version of s’mores bites are topped with mini marshmallows, but feel free to use whatever marshmallows you can get your hands on—even those with playful colors and shapes!
You can also use your favorite type of chocolate for these s’mores.
We suggest using dark chocolate to balance out the marshmallows’ sweetness, but using milk or white chocolate works too.
No matter what type of chocolate you use, remember to chop it up finely to ensure that the chocolate melts uniformly in the oven. If you’re using chocolate chips, chopping them into smaller pieces will help them melt better too.
It’s not tricky at all to bake these delectable s’mores bites. It’s really worth a try for beginners, and you can even get the kids involved!
The steps are straightforward, and no advanced techniques are needed in this recipe. You’ll be surprised at how quick and easy it is to make these delicious marshmallow treats.
Making The Digestive Crusts
While the traditional s’mores uses graham crackers, digestive biscuits are a common and equally delicious substitute.
So, for the crusts of these s’mores bites, feel free to use digestive biscuits instead!
To get the shape of these bites, we used stand-alone mini cupcake cups. If you have a mini muffin pan, you may use that too.
Make sure to grease them well so the s’mores cups can be easily removed when they’re done.
The crusts are made from a mixture of crushed digestives, icing sugar, and butter, and will require a brief baking to set and bind.
Press down the biscuit crumbs firmly into the cups to prevent your s’mores from breaking when they’re removed.
After packing in the biscuit crumbs, leave a depression for the chopped chocolate to go in!
How to Get a Browned Top and Prevent Overbaking
After the crusts have been briefly baked, it's time to fill them with chocolate and marshmallows.
If you’re cutting bigger marshmallows into smaller pieces, put them cut-side down for a neater look.
You will then pop them back into the oven for another 2–4 minutes to soften the marshmallows and get the chocolate all gooey.
To finish it off and give the marshmallows an appealing golden brown char, broil the bites for 1 to 2 minutes. This will also give them a nice, smoky flavor.
The smoky flavour and char are a result of chemical processes known as the Maillard reaction and caramelization, which commonly occur in cooking and baking.
Don’t forget to watch the s’mores closely, so they don’t get burnt!
These s’mores bites are best enjoyed slightly warm.
When you break one open, you’ll reveal a gooey layer of marshmallow and molten chocolate.
It might be tempting, but we suggest not to gobble it down if it’s too hot from the oven, as doing so might give you a sore throat. Let them cool for a couple of minutes before you dig in!
If you have leftovers, enjoy them warm the next day by popping them into a 160°C oven for a couple of minutes to reheat.
Marshmallow Chocolate S'mores Bites
yields 16 s'mores bites
(2"– 3" diameter)
120g digestives (8x biscuits)
30g confectioners' sugar
68g unsalted butter
150g chocolate (dark/milk/regular)
For S'mores Bites
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Melt your butter. Set aside.
- Finely crush digestives. You can place them into a plastic bag and crush it into pieces with a rolling pin/your hands.
- Combine crushed digestives, confectioners' sugar and melted butter together in a large bowl. Mix until well distributed.
- Divide the crumb mixture evenly into individual mini muffin cups (we used paper muffin cups, with a base of ~2-3” diameter). You may also use a mini muffin pan.
- Use your hands or a small spoon to press the crumbs down firmly to form shallow cups.
- Bake the crusts for 4–5 minutes, or until the edges are bubbling.
- Meanwhile, finely chop dark chocolate chunks/buttons/bar and cut your marshmallows into small pieces.
- Remove the baked crusts from the oven.
- If your crusts have puffed up, use a round spoon to mould the crusts back to their original shapes while they’re still warm. Do it quickly before the crusts set.
- Spoon chopped chocolate into each of the cups.
- Finish by placing marshmallow halves cut-side down into each cup.
- Return the s’mores bites into the oven for 2–4 minutes, or until the marshmallows are slightly softened.
- To get a nice char on the marshmallows, switch your oven to broiler mode (top heat) and broil the marshmallows for 1-2 minutes.
- Watch closely to prevent the marshmallows from burning.
- Remove and let cool for 5–10 minutes before carefully removing them from the muffin cups. Serve slightly warm for best results!
Storage: Best consumed warm. Store covered in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat at 160°C for 2-4 min before serving.
Tasty, Quick, and Simple Marshmallow Chocolate Bites
These s’mores bites will help to satisfy your sudden chocolate cravings. The best part about this recipe is its flexibility! You can tweak the amounts of chocolate and marshmallow according to your preference. Make them in bigger muffin cups if you have a major sweet tooth.
Trying this recipe out? Make sure you hashtag #bakestarters on Instagram so we can see your wonderful creations!